Welcome to my learning log for Textiles 1: A Creative Approach. This course is run through the Open College of the Arts and is the first module for a BA (Hons) Degree in Textiles.
The course aims are to:
. explore and apply design ideas using different textile media and techniques;
• develop an individual approach to designing and creating images;
• acquire a basic understanding of the historical and cultural origins of textiles and
the diversity of textiles in practice; and
• develop your reflective skills and ability to rectify perceived weaknesses in the light
of constructive feedback.
What I hope the course will do for me:
– change my way of working from an improvised “make it up as I go along” method to a more structured method with more time spent on preparatory exploration and sampling;
– instill the discipline of using a sketchbook as a tool to develop ideas;
– explore a theme more fully rather than jumping in with the first idea that pops into my mind;
– try new techniques; and
– challenge myself.