Assignment 1 Project 2 Stage 6

To start this stage, looking at textured threads and yarns, I created some yarns of my own by twisting, plaiting and knotting different materials together.

From left to right:

3 strands coloured wool, twisted cord; 8 strand Kumihimo braid; 3 strands ripped muslin; 4 strands ripped dish cloth; 3 strands pulled from hessian, with one strand calico in centre; 3 strands mesh roughly knotted; 1 strand calico, 1 mesh and 1 dishcloth in very loose plait; 1 strand leather, 1 fishing line and 1 wire plaited; 3 strands cut plastic bag plaited.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

After this I chose a picture from the work already done. I chose an image I had created of acrylic paint applied with the back of a fork as I liked the combination of colours and the sweeping movement of the top layer over the underneath layer.  Firstly to match the colours I selected different threads and made a card wrap of these in approximately the same proportions as the image.  The image goes from yellow to red with some different orange shades where they mix.

I drew a quick colour pencil sketch to work out what stitches I would use for each section.  I chose chain stitch for the base layer as it can be packed quite closely to give good coverage.  For this sample I could have used satin stitch but that gives a much smoother surface and I did not want that effect as I felt the organic nature of chain stitch is more suited to the uneven edges of the shapes in the original image.  For the sweeping orange and red I used a mixture of running and stem stitch for the thinner lines and  layered Cretan stitch for the broader bands.  The drawback with the Cretan stitch was that I spaced the stitches far apart and therefore needed more layers to provide the coverage I wanted so the top lines ended up being very high.  It may have been better to change the width of the Cretan stitch for better coverage with fewer layers, or I could have continued with stem stitch for this part of the sample.

I chose to work the sample on black fabric as I really wanted the colours to contrast against the background to achieve vibrancy.  I think this worked well and the resulting piece is a good reflection of the original.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s