Assignment 5 Project 10 Stage 4 continued

I have continued working on different backgrounds for the supporting panels and wings.

As a reminder, here is the Paint Shop Pro altered image I am using as my inspiration for the patterning:

Enamel

After the dyed and screen printed samples, my next one was to use acrylic paint and paint this freehand onto silk habotai. I discovered that I needed to use the paints without adding water as this made the colours bleed into each other.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My initial reaction to this was not to like it, I thought the colours were too bright and didn’t like the messy edges.  I decided to try adding Liquid Pearls in the same way that I outlined the colours in the screen printed samples.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What a difference the outlining makes!  It separates out the colours and makes them pop while emphasising the shapes.  I now really like this sample.

As a variation from the printed and painted backgrounds I made a sample in applique.  This turned out to be really fiddly to make.  I used Bondaweb on the back of the cut shapes but couldn’t get the paper to peel off without the edges of the fabric fraying badly, which defeated one of the reasons for using the Bondaweb.  So in the end I left the paper backing on and just pinned the pieces in place instead of securing them using the iron.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This sample is acceptable but lacks the punch and boldness of the printed and painted samples.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s