Assignment 5 Project 10 Stage 4

I have been experimenting with preparing background fabrics to use in my neckpiece.

There are two elements to the neckpiece, the supporting panels that sweep up behind the neck and the individual beetle wings that go onto the supporting panels.

In keeping with my findings on Ancient Egyptian Jewellery, I want to use sumptuous materials with a sheen.  I have therefore chosen to do my first samples using silk habotai fabric.  A major colour in the jewellery is turquoise so I dyed some samples based on this colour and with hints of other colours coming through.

For these samples, L to R I applied Procion dyes in their powdered form, sprinkling them first on wet silk and moving the dyes around with a flat card, and then just sprinkling the powder on more heavily and leaving it to sit without moving it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I made a stencil using the shapes from the beetle wing image that I altered in Paint Shop Pro.  I used this to stencil fabric paints on to the silk samples, using primary colours to match those used in the old jewellery.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The colours show much more strongly against the lighter dyed background.  To emphasise the shapes and pick up on the heavy use of gold, I experimented with some different ways of outlining the shapes.

Below at the top are some shapes outlined in back stitch and running stitch. Below those to the left the shapes are outlined in liquid pearls and to the right Lumiere paints applied straight from the bottle.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s